Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Hi y'all!

Hello dear friends and family!

We had such an incredible week and saw so many miracles! This will be
a short one, but I just wanted to share what's been on my mind. This week I was reading some old conference talks and there were two things specifically that I love. First, it was an opening address to a general conference and President Hinckley quoted a newspaper article about missionaries:

A California newspaper recently commented: “The white shirts, backpacks and bicycles give them away, even before you spot the Book of Mormon.

“They’re stereotyped, for good reason.

“These armies of young men--missionaries in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--are strictly regimented while serving missions around the globe.

“For two years, they spend 60 hours a week doing ecclesiastical work, praying, studying, and telling others about the Gospel that drove them to leave families, friends and the comfort of home behind.

“Contact with their loved ones is limited to letters and two calls a year.

“They live frugally, in private homes and apartments with companion missionaries, rising at 6 a.m. to study and pray for guidance in the work they will do until long after the sun sets. …

“This life, they say, is a sacrifice--and the most ‘fun’ they can imagine”.

I'm having the time of my life. Every day is so fun.

The next one is from Elder Holland's talk 'The First Great Commandment'. I think everyone should read this talk, it's incredible. Elder Holland puts in his own words for and exchange between the Savior and Peter, in answering the call to discipleship. I LOVE what
he says:

"To which Jesus responded (and here again I acknowledge my non-scriptural elaboration), perhaps saying something like: “Then Peter, why are you here? Why are we back on this same shore, by these same nets, having this same conversation? Wasn’t it obvious then and isn’t it obvious now that if I want fish, I can get fish? What I need, Peter, are disciples--and I need them forever. I need someone to feed my sheep and save my lambs. I need someone to preach my gospel and defend my faith. I need someone who loves me, truly, truly loves me, and loves what our Father in Heaven has commissioned me to do. Ours is not a feeble message. It is not a fleeting task. It is not hapless; it is not hopeless; it is not to be consigned to the ash heap of history. It is the work of Almighty God, and it is to change the world. So, Peter, for the second and presumably the last time, I am asking you to leave all this and to go teach and testify, labor and serve loyally until the day in which they will do to you exactly what they did to me.”

I think that says enough.

I love y'all and hope you have a wonderful week!

Love,

Sister Snyder

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment